Tomato Vidalia Gratin
Vidalia onions are a naturally sweet variety of onion grown in Vidalia, Georgia. If Vidalia onions are not available, yellow or white onions can be used in this recipe, but they will not have as much sweetness.
• 1 unbaked (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell
• 1 very large slicing tomato, sliced
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
• 1 cup chopped Vidalia onion
• 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or enough to bind the mixture
• 1 pound bacon, crisp-fried and chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the pie shell for 8 minutes or just until light brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Arrange the tomato slices in the pie shell and sprinkle with the basil and onion.
Mix the Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise and bacon in a bowl. Season with the pepper. Press the cheese mixture over the vegetables, Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serves four to six.