2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 each finely chopped medium onion
2 large cloves minced garlic
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (32 ounce) low sodium chicken broth
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounce) BUSH’S® Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
8 – 10 each corn tortillas cut in half then into ¼-inch wide stripes
1 - 1 ½ cups shredded low-fat Monterey Jack or low-fat Mexican blend cheese
1 each pitted, peeled and diced avocado
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook an additional 1 minute.
2. Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, beans, corn and stir to combine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. To add more body to the soup, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Bring the soup back up to a boil, stir in the slurry, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven at 400° F. Place the corn tortilla strips in a large bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until well coated. Place on a baking sheet and cook until golden and crispy, about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through to ensure even cooking.
5. To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls. Add *optional toppings, as desired